Good Practices Resource Book 2015, focusing on social-sector delivery.
By “social sector” one often means education and health. (child protection, education, environment, financial inclusion, food security and public distribution, health, infrastructure and development, local governance, social security, water and sanitation, and women’s empowerment — have a broader “social security” canvas)
One, child protection —
Two, education —
- Migration cards (Gujarat),
- Porta cabins (Chhattisgarh),
- Pratibha Parv (Madhya Pradesh);
- Saakshar Bharat (Andhra Pradesh).
Three, environment —
- Avadi sewage treatment plant (Chennai),
- Dhara Vikas (Sikkim),
- environment management (Andaman and Nicobar Islands),
- forest produce tracking system (Karnataka),
- integrated basin development and livelihood promotion (Meghalaya),
- lake restoration (Rajasthan and Karnataka),
- well recharging (Kerala),
- air quality forecasting (Delhi),
- plastic waste management (Himachal Pradesh).
Four, financial inclusion —
- panchayat banks (Jharkhand).
Five, food security and public distribution —
- e-PDS (Andhra),
- Annashree Yojana (Delhi),
- e-Uparjan (MP).
Six, health —
- care project for the chronically ill and infirm (Kerala),
- healthcare for all (Sikkim),
- decentralisation of ICDS (Odisha),
- Indira Bal Swasthya Yojana (Haryana),
- preventing vision loss in premature infants (Karnataka),
- malaria protection for pregnant women and children (Odisha),
- NRHM improvements (Assam).
Seven, infrastructure and development —
public transport (Mysore).
Eight, local governance —
- 24X7 metered water (Punjab),
- entitlement-based district planning (Bihar).
Nine, Social security —
- Aam Aadmi Bima Yojana (Andhra),
- rehabilitation of manual scavenging (Uttar Pradesh),
- land deeds to tribal people (Tripura),
- placement-linked skill development (Jammu and Kashmir),
- early intervention for disability (MP).
Ten, water and sanitation —
- community-managed water supply (Gujarat),
- open defecation-free villages (Jharkhand).
Eleven, women’s empowerment —
- joint house ownership by husband and wife (Maharashtra),
- organic rice production (Maharashtra).
if you are looking for PDS delivery in Chhattisgarh or Bhoomi in Karnataka and cannot find it, that’s because those have been docketed in other years.
Good practices often originate in districts, sometimes even in blocks and villages. Consider the rehabilitation of manual scavenging. This is listed against UP, but is really a Badaun district initiative: “The Daliya Jalao initiative was a result of the combined efforts of the district magistrate and the district administration of Badaun, with the support of the local community…” It’s now being tried in 15 other UP districts.