Piracy is a problem all over the world, original content created by the innovators is being distributed in this digital age where data is distributed all over the internet and is rampant
Why India and US have a relationship in IP rights
Indian movie production companies and software development companies have made a mark around the world, US also has done the same, to protect the rights of creators from both countries and to grow our economies, we must try and curb this illegal distribution.
World Intellectual Property Day
- World Intellectual Property Day is observed annually on 26 April.
- 2016 theme “Digital Creativity: Culture Reimagined”
- 2015 theme was “Get Up, Stand Up. For Music”
- The event was established by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in 2000 to “raise awareness of how patents, copyright, trademarks and designs impact on daily life” and “to celebrate creativity, and the contribution made by creators and innovators to the development of societies across the globe”
- 26 April was chosen as the date for World Intellectual Property Day because it coincides with the date on which the Convention Establishing the WIPO entered into force in 1970.
World Intellectual Property Organization
- The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) is one of the 17 specialized agencies of the United Nations.
- WIPO was created in 1967 “to encourage creative activity, to promote the protection of intellectual property throughout the world
- WIPO currently has 188 member states,administers 26 international treaties, and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland
What is the idea behind protecting intellectual property
- That the original content creators are rewarded for their creations whether it be movies, art work, music, computer software and other so that future generations appreciate the rich, diverse and creative cultures as to the ones we enjoy today.
- Also people make their living by selling their content and if their creations are not protected, they will go out of work, and producers will no more be encouraged to produce new things
How is it becoming impossible to protect the content
Growth in broadband connectivity also means an increase in the proliferation of piracy, which reduces the incentive of content innovators to create and erodes the desire of companies to invest. Illegal downloads, recording in movie theatres and other forms of intellectual property theft cost the creative industry dearly