- Postal department might soon deliver water from the Ganga river to your doorstep.
- Ganges which is considered holy by the Hindus.
- Communications and IT Minister directed the Department of Posts to utilise e-commerce platform so that pure Ganga Jal from Haridwar and Rishikesh can be provided to the people.
- Government is also working on a single mobile application through which citizens would be able to access over 1,000 e-governance services provided by the Centre, State governments as well as local authorities.
- The new application UMANG — short for Unified Mobile App for New-age Governance — will be available in 12 Indian languages, besides English.
- This application will be a game changer… a common mobile application for all government services.
Smartphones for postmen:
- By March 2017, all postmen in urban centres will be given smartphones, while those in around 1.3 lakh rural post offices will be given handheld devices.
- About 4,000 handheld devices have already been given.
- It will help in financial inclusion.