- India-US relations.
- US now considers India as its ‘major defence partner.’
- This classification will allow India to buy more advanced and sensitive technologies from the U.S.
- This move will be complemented by India’s entry into the Missile Technology Control Regime, an exclusive club that restricts trade in sensitive defence technologies.
- US has also shown its support for India’s membership into Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG).
- According to a joint statement released by both the countries, India will receive licence-free access to a wide range of dual-use technologies.
- However, there was difference of opinion between the countries over the time-frame of ratification of Paris Treaty by India.
- US understands that India will ratify it by the end of this year.
- Whereas Indian diplomats have hinted that India has not given any deadline for the ratification. It has said, that it will ratify it ‘as soon as possible’.