Many aspirants, like you, would have this question in mind – ‘how much time should I spend daily on The Hindu newspaper reading’?
- Focus on Issue rather than News : Suppose there is a news headlined as “Supreme Court judge removed from his seat”. So don’t read who is removed, what he did so he is removed, when is he removed. etc. Focus on “How a Supreme Court judge can be removed”, “What provision does our Constitution have for removal of judge from seat”, “What effects could it have on our nation and upcoming generation” etc.
- Try to Categorise the news in few categories : Divide news or issues in few categories like International Relations, Environment & Biodiversity, Personalities and Awards, Government Policies and Schemes, International Organisations, Economic Policies, Science and Technology, Health and Medicine, Miscellaneous etc.
1. Any judgement/ruling /remark by Supreme Court/High Court is important. While you note down the judgement ,also understand its relevance in your syllabus.Relate it to Geography /History /Economics/Polity.
2. Identify social issues /challenges facing the society as such .Understand its pros and cons and also note down the recent incidents .You can quote them to substantiate your point .Example -caste riots ,moral policing ,restriction on freedom of speech,etc.
3.Note down any issue being discussed in the Government departments/ministries. Note down the pros and cons of the issue .example -Linking rivers ,water conservation ,etc.
4.Identify schemes/policies/ initiatives of the government .For the prelims ,you will have to know
- Objectives of the policy
- Under which ministry /department / it operates.
- Any special feature of the policy.
- Who are the members (If its an organisation .eg.Inter State council)
- Any constitutional provisions related to it .
For the mains ,
- you will have to understand the issue relating to the policy/scheme and make notes on pros and cons.
Here,you will have to know about CISF and cyber crime in detail.
5.While reading the editorial , identify the issue first .Then find out points in favour and against it .Please understand the the editorials have a bias towards one opinion. So,it is your duty to identify points ,both for the topic and against the topic.
Here ,the issue is on the powers of AFSPA . A judgement has triggered this debate.