1. Arctic mission to ‘trap’ researchers in ice to study climate A team of climate change scientists from 17 nations is preparing for an expedition to the Arctic, where they will anchor their vessel to a large piece of sea ice and allow the water to freeze around them. Details: The scientists will be trapped in… Continue reading Detailed News Articles: 5 July 2019
1. 27% of children with disabilities have never been to school: UNESCO Commissioned by the UNESCO, the Tata Institute of Social Sciences has prepared the report titled State of the Education Report for India 2019: Children with Disabilities. Findings of the report: Nearly three-fourths of five-year-old children and one-fourths of kids aged between 5 and 19 with… Continue reading Detailed News Articles: 4 July 2019
1. Rise in cases of vector-borne diseases According to a report from the three municipal corporations in Delhi, cases of vector-borne diseases such as malaria, dengue and chikungunya have shown an increasing trend this week. Details: The number of cases of vector-borne diseases is expected to rise during the monsoon. The three municipal corporations in Delhi have… Continue reading Detailed News Articles: 2 July 2019
Meaning of slavery • Slavery is lack of freedom and liberty. Freedom means you are unobstructed in living your life as you choose it. ‘Anything less is a form of slavery’ (Wayne Dyer). The great French Philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau said that, ‘man is born free and everywhere he is in chains’. • Man was condemned… Continue reading Essay:-The danger of the past was that men became slaves, the danger of future is that they may become robots.
The approach of the Essay should be to indicate that our urge to achieve success must be supported by good values. These values help us to achieve our goals and also help us in cherishing our success with respect and love. • Lack of values brings only ephemeral or transitory success and even after getting… Continue reading Essay: Try not to Become a Man of Success, but Rather Try to Become a Man of Value.
1. Most see free legal aid as last-ditch option: report A report has revealed that people look at free legal aid as the last option. NALSA: Article 39A of the Constitution of India provides for free legal aid to the poor and weaker sections of the society and ensures justice for all. Article 14 and 22(1)… Continue reading Detailed News Articles: 1 July 2019
1. Bombay High Court upholds reservation for Marathas A division bench of the Bombay High Court has upheld the Maratha Reservation Bill saying that the state is within its right. Background: The demand for Maratha reservation beganed in the 1980s. In 1992, the Maratha Mahasangh had made a representation to the state government to provide reservation… Continue reading Detailed News Articles: 28 June 2019
1. Govt. to start Jal Shakti Abhiyan for 255 water-stressed districts from July 1 The Centre is set to initiate the Jal Shakti Abhiyan to ramp up rainwater harvesting and conservation efforts in 255 water-stressed districts, in line with the government’s promise to focus on water. Details: The Jal Shakti Abhiyan would aim to accelerate water… Continue reading Detailed News Articles: 27 June 2019
CHAPTER 1- WHY BIODIVERSITY MATTERS? The importance of nature in our lives Humans have evolved, grown and thrived, in nature. Modern human society needs the resources of nature to thrive. Perception that nature is ‘nice to have’ and its protection is secondary to the more important tasks of increasing economic growth, creating jobs, enhancing the… Continue reading Living Planet Report 2018: by WWF
1. The state of Indian prisons Analysis: Experts that in the midst of the election process this year (2019), the release of the data-driven report, the Prison Statistics India 2016, published by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) went largely unnoticed. It is important to note that this edition of the report is different from its earlier… Continue reading Detailed News Articles: 26 June 2019